The Scottish Horticultural Research Institute (SHRI) was established in Invergowrie in the spring of 1951 with the aim of undertaking organised research into the problems of horticultural production in Scotland. It became legally established as a self-governing, grant-aided research organisation in 1953.
In February 1981, the long-established Scottish Plant Breeding Station (SPBS) based in Pentlandfield, Edinburgh, was amalgamated with SHRI at Invergowrie and was renamed the Scottish Crop Research Institute.
In addition to its research remit, the institute administers the Scottish Society for Crop Research, providing a link between farmers, processors and other interested individuals and SCRI. Since 1987 the institute has also assumed managerial responsibility for Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS), formerly the Scottish Agricultural Statistics Service.
In 1989, SCRI established a commercial company, Mylnefield Research Services (MRS) Ltd, to market products, intellectual property and the expertise of both SCRI and MRS Ltd scientists.
A more detailed history of SCRI from the 1994 Annual Report can be read below.
- PDF file: SCRI: an historical perspective D.A. Perry (84 KB)